Going for the green
Sold-out midsummer fundraiser brings in $23,000 for MBTA Infrastructure Development Fund
Every year for the past 17 years, MBTA members and friends have gathered on the greens for a good cause: to raise money for the MBTA Infrastructure Development Fund. The 2013 MBTA Infrastructure Golf Classic was held July 18 at the Augusta Club in Manchester, and support for the event’s core mission was strong. This year, more than 140 golfers were on hand for the sold-out event. There also was a small army of volunteers who helped plan and run the event that raised $23,000 for the MBTA Infrastructure Development Fund. The fund supports MBTA’s efforts to communicate the organization’s most important messages: that transportation investment creates jobs, boosts the economy and improves Maine’s position in the world marketplace.
Competition was strong with the top teams battling it out in three categories: Top Gross, Top Net and Top Mixed Team. The team representing The Rowley Agency, ETTI and Mattingly Products (Gary LaPierre, Bobby Donnally, Scott Kelley and Phil Mattingly) took top honors with a gross score of 57. The Travelers/Clark Insurance team (Adam Lamarre, Jason Cadorette, Jeff Shaw and Josh Ellis) came in second with a gross score of 61.
The competition for Top Net honors was close with the Whited Peterbilt/Auburn Concrete team (Jon Whited, Joel Cummings, Felix Lincoln and Rick Schrepper) eeking out a victory over the second place net team from Irving Oil (Matt Holland, Jim Locke, Gene Jones and Tom Poulin) with only a two stroke difference: 51 to 53.
The Top Mixed Team, Mike Marriner, Sheila Marriner, John Paradis and Tom Tolliver, took that category with a score of 65.
There were plenty of opportunities for individual golfers to shine, too. Rhonda Cousens and Allan Gould won Straightest Drive at Hole 9; Carl Voigt snagged Closest to the Pin, with a drive that was only 13’7” off the 15th hole. The putting contest came down to a three-way tie between Dick Cousens, Jon Whited and Leonard Ruszcyk.
And Rick Schrepper, Rhonda Cousens and Terry Byrne shared the winnings at the Casino Hole (Hole 17). Unfortunately, no one took home either of the coveted Hole-in-One prizes – a Jeep Wrangler sponsored by Charlie’s Auto Mall and a $10,000 cash prize sponsored by Cross Insurance.
At a post-tournament reception in the clubhouse, MBTA Vice President Jim Hanley thanked everyone for their enthusiastic support of the organization’s advocacy work encouraging public investment in Maine’s transportation network. Former MBTA President and 2013 Golf Committee Chair Tom Martin did the honors, passing out the awards, including announcing the winner of the 50-50 Raffle – Dale Mitchell of HNTB. Dale won $632 (an equal portion went to support the MBTA Educational Foundation Scholarship Fund). Dale generously donated $100 of his winnings to the fund, as well.
2013 MBTA Infrastructure Golf Classic Winners
- Top Gross - Gary LaPierre, Bobby Donnally, Scott Kelley, Phil Mattingly
- Top Net - Jon Whited, Joel Cummings, Felix Lincoln, Rick Schrepper
- 2nd Gross - Adam Lamarre, Jason Cadorette, Jeff Shaw, Josh Ellis
- 2nd Net - Matt Holland, Jim Locke, Gene Jones, Tom Poulin
- Straightest Drive-Women - Rhonda Cousens
- Straightest Drive-Men - Alan Gould
- Close to Pin - Carl Voigt
- Mixed Team - Mike Marriner, Sheila Marriner, John Paradis, Tom Tolliver
- Putting Contest (Ties) - Dick Cousens, Jon Whited, Leonard Ruszczyk
- Casino Hole (each took home $200) - Rick Schrepper, Rhonda Cousens, Terry Byrne
- 50/50 Raffle ($632) - Dale Mitchell
- $50 Home Depot Gift Certificates - Pete Webb, Rolf Westphal
- Umbrella & golf balls - Dana Knapp, Pete Webb, Tim Cote
- Auto Auctions of Maine
- Sargent Corp.
19th Hole Sponsor
- Charlie’s of Augusta
- Cross Insurance
- Anderson Equipment Company
- Brown Industrial Group, Inc.
- Clean Harbors Environmental Services
- Milton CAT
- CDM Smith
- Down East Emulsions
- Fay, Spofford & Thorndike
- The Lane Construction Corporation
- Nortrax, Inc.
- The Rowley Agency
- Surveying and Mapping Consultants, Inc.
- Auburn Concrete
- Berkley Surety
- H. O. Bouchard, Inc.
- CCB, Inc.
- Chadwick-BaRoss, Inc.
- Ciment Quebec
- Concord Coach Lines
- Cross Surety, Inc.
- Dearborn Brothers Construction
- Dirigo Slipform
- Dragon Products
- Grace Construction Products
- A. H. Harris & Sons, Inc.
- Jordan Equipment Company, Inc.
- Macpage LLC
- Maine Drilling & Blasting, Inc.
- Bruce A. Manzer, Inc.
- Marriners, Inc.
- McGoldrick Brothers Blasting Services, Inc.
- Oldcastle Precast
- Pike Industries
- Pratt & Sons, Inc.
- E. J. Prescott, Inc.
- Shaw Brothers Construction, Inc.
- Skillings-Shaw and Associates
- Sprague Operating Resources
- Ted Berry Company, Inc.
- Willis of Northern New England
- Wyman and Simpson, Inc.
2013 Golf Committee
Chair: Tom Martin
Committee: Tom Biegel, Greg Dore, Tom Gorrill, Jim Hanley, John Harbottle, Doug Hermann, Larry Hutchins, Mike Marriner, Larry Roberts, Joe Rollins, Johnny Wardwell, Holly Williams
2013 Golf Vounteers
Brad Kaherl, Pam Rogers, Holly Williams, Emily Hermann, Michelle Orlando, Paul Beaudette
Our gratitude goes to Cross Insurance and Charlie’s of Augusta for the Hole-in-One prizes. To Gorham Sand & Gravel and T.Y. Lin for golfer gifts. Also to Concord Coach Lines, The Rowley Agency and M&N Operating Co. for golf tees and raffle donations. Your support helps make this event fun and successful!